Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Night time in Mt Carmel, Pennsylvania

I took a trip up to Mount Carmel, Pa this past weekend...in the heart of the Coal Region. I did a lot of photography in the area, both in the daytime and at night.

What I enjoy about night photography is how a subject that looks ordinary by day can transform into something vivid and colorful at night. I also enjoy how reflections on the wet street can totally change the composition.


Anthracite Fire Company - 3rd & Market street
f16 - 2 second shutter - ISO 200


Pizza Shop on 3rd & Oak street
f16 - 1.3 second shutter - ISO 200


The Shop at Avenue & Oak street
f16 - 1/6th second shutter - ISO 200


Oak street
f16 - 2 second shutter - ISO 200

Additional photos ot Mt Carmel are here Mount Carmel pictures.

3 comments:

gcriff said...

Cool shots, Bill. On the Oak St. shot I can just picture you running out into the middle of the street, setting up your tripod with your camera on it, taking the photo and then calmly walking back off :-)

Glenn

Steve Gray said...

Excellent images, Bill. I hope you didn't freeze too much! One question, though: While I see that aperture and ISO are constant across all the shots, the shutter speed varies. Were you shooting in Av mode, or is the variance from you bracketing?

-Steve-

Merlavage Images said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Steve, when I shoot at night, I generally have an idea in my head of what the shutter speed will be at f16. Most of the time AV mode gets me there, but often I end up having to go to M to lighten or darken the scene to taste.

I rarely use a aperture number lower than f16, unless I'm trying to control starbursts. Occasionally I got higher (f22, etc) if I want to use a longer shutter.

As for consistent ISO, I rarely tweak my ISO. I mostly just compensate with the Aperture/Shutter controls. Moving objects require a higher ISO, but for night landscapes, it really doesn't matter.