Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sunrise shoot at Dan's Rock Overlook

I really like it when the sunrises around 7:30, I don't have to wake-up so early for sunrise shoots. This morning I took a drive up to one of my favorite sunrise location, Dan's Rock Overlook. I tried something a little different this time...usually when I shoot at Dan's Rock, I base my exposure on the sky, which causes the foreground rocks to appear as dark silhouette. However, this time I used the same exposure, but also used my flash as a strobe to illuminate the foreground rocks. The shots below were all taken with a 30 second shutter, with a burst of flash illuminating the rocks every 5 seconds or so. This brought out the detail in the rocks & shows off all that beautiful graffiti. : )









You can see more of my Dan's Rock Overlook shots by clicking here.

4 comments:

Glenn said...

Outstanding photos, Bill. Hate to say it but I was still asleep when you took created those images. Really nice work, I like them all.

Merlavage Images said...

Thanks Glenn

Thomas said...

I am a decendant of 1 of the original 5 clans (miller) to settle dans rock. i frequently check out post about the rock on the web, today i saw your sunrise photos and thought they might be the most beautifull shots of the rock i have ever seen. Thanks for them and hope you enjoy it forever.

Merlavage Images said...

Thank you Thomas, that's very kind of your to say. It's a beautiful photography location, I'm thankful to the opportunity to shoot there.